Bacterial leaf streak of rice - Photographer: T.W. Mew
TAL effector genes of 10 X. oryzae pv. oryzicola genomes
(Wilkins et al., 2015)
TAL effector PthXo1 bound to its target. Illustration by Jon Bogdanove
Valentines Day 2016 coffee break
Welcome to the Bogdanove laboratory webpage.
Our research centers on the interactions of rice with pathovars of the bacterial pathogen Xanthomonas oryzae and on TAL effector DNA targeting and its applications. Click these terms or the Research tab above for details.
Please use the other tabs and links on this page for more information about our lab. Thanks for visiting!
JUST ANNOUNCED: 2016 Rice: Research to Production Course, August 8-26 at the International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines. Follow link at right for more information.
Where Are We?
In the News
- Bogdanove lab genome editing work highlighted in “CRISPR, microbes and more are joining the war against crop killers” in March 14, 2017 issue of Nature.
- Bogdanove lab featured on CornellResearch.
- Paper on Xanthomonas complete genome assembly using PacBio long-read data by graduate student Nick Booher and colleagues highlighted as example of the "potential transformative power of technology innovations" by Microbial Genomics, December 2015.
- TALENs save a life, as described November 5, 2015 in this BBC News report and this STATnews article.
- TALENs runner up to the Higgs Boson for Science magazine's Breakthrough of the Year 2012 (Science 338,1525-1532).
- Bogdanove lab contributions featured in Science news article "The Tale of the TALEs" by E. Pennisi, Dec. 14, 2012 (pdf).
- Solved! "Crystal structure of TAL effector PthXo1 bound to its DNA target" Science, Jan 5, 2012.
See also the Iowa State University News Release.
- Gene editing with engineered nuclease is Nature Methods "Method of the Year 2011.”
- See more.
- Rice: Research to Production Course Aug 14 to Sep 1, 2017, International Rice Research Institute, the Philippines. Applications due April 10, 2017
- Plant Pathology: Taking you further than you ever imagined
- TAL Effector Nucleotide Targeter
- Golden Gate TALEN and TAL Effector Kit
- Functional genomics of rice susceptibility to bacterial diseases
- Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae PXO99A genome
- Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzicola BLS256 genome
- Xanthomonas campestris pv. raphani 756C genome